Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Medieval-Inspired Umbrella Stand from Musee D'Orsay

More from the Musee D'Orsay! (Can you tell I liked this place?).

This umbrella stand was in the same room as the pictures from yesterday's post. When I looked at the picture again today, I realized that the wrought iron designs on the bottom of this early 20th century stand were copied almost directly from iron works on display at the cluny museum from the 15th century. Do you see the resemblance?





Pretty neat, eh? One of my favourite things about art is how symbols and designs are picked up and re-used over time. It just shows that if you create something of lasting value, people will continue to be inspired by it for years to come (now, where can I find an umbrella stand like that?).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Honestly..if I saw that umbrella stand, I wouldn't know its for umbrella...we dont have such things here, umbrellas are all dumped on a corner somewhere!

Margaret said...

The same is true in my house! Ah well, at least I can dream.

Sarah said...

Ooooh, I want that umbrella stand... I just wish I had a really cool house to go with it ;o). Someday...

~SARAH~