I received my needlepoint kit from Beth Russell on Friday! I was so excited that I took pictures of the kit when it arrived. Right now I'm working on the leaves and vines in the design (they're the easiest part--the shading on the birds and flowers is more complex and I don't want to mess it up). I'm also looking forward to doing the actual trellis part, which uses the Gobelin stitch, something I haven't tried before.
Now that I have the design in my hands, I'm struck with how Medieval the pattern is, but also by how Japanese it looks. Perhaps it's from looking at all of the Japanese designs from Liberty yesterday, but I'm starting to notice that a lot of Arts and Crafts style is very influenced by Japanese design.
Here you can see where I've started stitching on the leaves! The design didn't fit on my frame properly, so I've had to turn it the other way. You can get a bit of a sense of the texture this way. I may have to take it easy with my stitching for the next few days--my wrist is killing me from what I've done so far--I'm thinking I'm much better suited to writing about art than I am to producing it!
Hope everyone has had a beautiful weekend!